Having a dermal filler treatment? Here are our doctor tips on how to best prepare for your treatment and aftercare for optimal results.
- One week prior to the treatment – Avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications (such as aspirin, ibuprofen) or supplements (such as St. John’s Wort, Gingko biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng).
- Two days prior to the treatment – avoid topical products such as Tretinoin, Retinol, Glycolic Acid.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior.
- Attend your appointment with little to makeup on your face. We will remove any remaining makeup when you arrive to your appointment. This is highly important as it allows us to properly assess your face. as well as decreasing the risk of infection at injection sites
- Either a small cannula or needle is used to insert the filler into the targeted areas. Cannulas are often preferred for this procedure since they tend to minimise the risk of bruising and swelling afterward. Your overall safety and comfort is a top priority at the R clinic.
- This procedure takes up to 30 minutes to complete based on the number of facial areas needing treatment. It can easily be done on your lunch hour or any time of the day where you can free up an hour’s time. If you opt to combine an anti-wrinkle treatment with dermal injections, both procedures can be completed in a single appointment.
Immediately after treatment, you may notice slight redness, swelling, or tenderness, in the treated area. These reactions are to be expected after an injection and usually resolved in a few days. If symptoms persist, please contact your cosmetic practitioner.
- For 12 hours post injection, it is highly advised not to use make-up
- Apply a cool compress to the treatment area (do not apply ice directly to the skin) regularly on the day of treatment
- Avoid any heat inducing activities for 24 hours such as strenuous exercise, spas, sauna and hot showers
- Avoid pressure on the area for the first 48 hours (sleep on your back if possible, no face down massages)
- Avoid alcohol, air travels for 3 days post injection
- Avoid active cosmeceutical products (AHA, retinols, vitamin C) and oil base makeup for 48 hours
- Use a topical treatment to soothe and calm the skin such as Bepanthen or Arnica cream. Use this 3 times/day for the next 7 days
- Avoid dental procedure, facials, waxing, chemical peels, skin needling, microdermabrasion, IPL or laser treatments for 2 weeks after treatment
- Do not massage the treatment area unless instructed to do so
Lumps and bumps in the treatment area are also common. These lumps will soften out over time. To make sure everything is looking good and recovering well, your cosmetic practitioner will have booked a follow-up appointment a couple of weeks after the procedure to review the area. During this appointment, you can run over any concerns and ask questions about your recovery.
Pain associated with dermal filler treatment is usually mild, however there are some areas, such as lips and chin can be moderately painful. Pain relief such as paracetamol may be taken as directed by your physician. Aspirin should not be taken
Please Contact Your Cosmetic Practitioner Immediately if You Experience
- Fever and/or chills
- If the area appears red, hot to the touch, and “angry” looking.
- Severe pain or increasing pain
- Discoloured blotches in areas not injected or blanching of injected area
- Vision changes