Having a SkinPen Treatment? Here are our doctors top tips on how to best prepare for your treatment and aftercare instructions to get the best results for your skin.
- 1 week prior to the treatment: minimize sun exposure
- To reduce the risk of bruising: discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, ginseng, gingko, St. John’s Wort 1 week prior to treatment
- If you are prone to have recurrent cold sores, please speak to your doctor about taking prophylactic anti-viral on the day of procedure
- On the day of the treatment: avoid wearing make-up and exercise. Bring a hat and sunglasses along with you to your treatment.
The procedure is performed in clinic and usually lasts around 30 minutes. Prior to the procedure, topical anaesthetic will be used to minimize discomfort during treatment. The SkinPen® is applied to treatment area and moved around on the skin in a methodical fashion. The depth of treatment is adjustable, so it is safe to use on the entire face, as well as neck and even hands. Even delicate area around the eyes and around the mouth can be treated with minimal discomfort. The procedure is not painless, but most patients rate the pain 2 out of 10!
- Use regular hydrating cream or gel to keep treatment area well hydrated until your skin has resumed normal function (~5 days)
- Avoid sun exposure, hot showers, sauna, sweat inducing exercise for 2-3 days
- Avoid highly fragranced products, AHAs, BHAs, topical vitamin A for 5-7 days
- May resume wearing makeup as normal 2 days after the procedure
- Do not scratch, pick, pull at or abrade the treated skin
- Avoid shaving and waxing in the areas of treatment for 7 days
- Avoid anti-wrinkle injection, dermal filler, or laser skin rejuvenation for 2 weeks