Dr. Melanie Sung
Devoted mother, passionate pianist and dedicated doctor helping to improve the vein health of Canberrans.
Dr Melanie Sung (Dr Mel) is the Medical Director of Canberra Vein Care specialising in all non-surgical vein treatments. Dr Mel is the first doctor in Australia to be able to introduce the latest radiofrequency device, the VENCLOSE device, for varicose vein treatments to her patients.
Dr Mel is one of a small cohort of females to undertake formal training in phlebology (a branch of medicine specialising in veins) and is a certified sclerotherapist by the Australasian College of Phlebology. Using the latest non-surgical and minimally invasive technology, Dr Mel brings together professional expertise and innovative treatments helping her patients to live healthier lives free from advanced vein disease and conditions including varicose veins, spider veins, lymphoedema, venous eczema and leg ulcers. Using the latest and safest non-surgical and minimally invasive technology, Dr Mel strives to achieve the best outcomes both medically and aesthetically for her patients without the need for surgery, lengthy hospital admission and painful recovery times.
Dr Melanie believes a well-considered treatment plan should be holistic and take into account individual circumstances, listening and working with her patients and offering unbiased advice, Dr Melanie is able to develop bespoke treatment plans individualised to each patient. Dr Mel is a passionate, friendly, and caring medical practitioner who is dedicated to provide outstanding care for her patients. She strives to bring together the latest non-surgical techniques in a friendly and professional environment.
Dr Mel’s time within her private practice has afforded her great insight and understanding into the many challenges patients face when seeking care for the treatment of their vein conditions. Because of this, it has been her goal to establish a more accessible locally based service for Canberrans and those within surrounding communities.
Through Canberra Vein Care Dr Mel offers multiple state-of-art, non-surgical varicose vein treatments tailored to your condition with comprehensive aftercare for her patients.
Qualifications and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (La Trobe University)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (University of Tasmania)
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery Honours (University of Tasmania)
- Fellow of The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP)
- Certificate of Clinician Performed Ultrasound with Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (ASUM)
- Certified Sclerotherapist (The Australasian College of Phlebology)
- Ultrasound in Phlebology (Australian Institute of Ultrasound Training)
- Multiple ultrasound courses in Obstetrics and MSK US (Australian Institute of Ultrasound Training))
Areas of Speciality
- Venous limb ultrasound and all non-surgical varicose and spider vein limb treatments.
- Women’s Health & Wellness
“In this modern world, we often put off caring for ourselves until after we’ve looked after everyone else. This means smaller issues can end up becoming more complex problems by the time we get help. With R Clinic, we wanted to create a place where our clients feel comfortable to take time for themselves. Don’t delay treatment, no health concern is insignificant. I’m passionate about working with my clients to optimise their health and wellbeing, not just at the time of treatment, but for the future.”